- Screed and waterproofing of floors must be done to Australian Standards and fully cured before any tiling work commences. We would recommend waterproofing before and after screeding.
- Fix tiles on a solid bed of adhesive ensuring that there is a 100% adhesive bed to reduce the risk of water penetration. Do not fix using the spot or dot and dab methods. Use a fast setting white adhesive that is suitable for moisture sensitive stone, to minimize the moisture penetration in to the marble. (Such as Davco 2 part rapid white adhesive).
Wet Area Floors and Walls – We would recommend the use of a 10mm notched trowel as not only does this help achieve a 100% adhesive bed but excess adhesive penetrates the holes in the mesh allowing adhesive to fill the bottom half of the joint. This helps to ensure a good bond between tiles, mesh and substrate. Another good practice is to employ the use of a rubber grout float to press the mosaic sheet into the adhesive.
- Once fixed apply the first coat of Stainproof Sealer by Drytreat as per manufacturers’ instructions.
- When grouting it is imperative to fill the entire joint with grout, not merely the top 2 or 3mm. Grout needs to be forced into the joint. Once again, this minimizes the risk of water penetration. We also recommend the use of a grout booster in all wet areas to increase flexibility and lessen water permeability. The grout booster needs to be mixed at a ratio of 50% grout booster to 50% clean water. (Ardex Misty Grey grout works very well with the tones of Carrara marble).
- After ensuring that all grout has been cleaned from the top surface of the marble apply the second coat of Stainproof sealer.